Saturday, July 24, 2010

Striving for New Thoughts about Masturbation p.2

In the next few months I am hoping that the Good Lord will instruct me more on the ethical problem of masturbation in the Christian life. I know that posts like these may cause alot of pious heads to turn, but it is a subject that is far too rarely discussed in youth groups and sunday morning sermons. The best I hear from pastors is," Ummm welll....uhhh I don't recommend it but....ummm, it's between you and God." In other words, I don't have a clue what to say and so I am pushing you into the subjective world of "you and God" (whatever that means!!!). This will not do for an activity that raises such profound doubts in the minds of young fellas like me. The more pastors equivocate on this issue the more young men will equivocate, and pretty soon kids will be masturbating left right and center at the offense of their vacillating consciences. But Zwingli argued that the conscience is to be moved towards certainty, not uncertainty (article 48 of the 67 articles). Paul also agrees to this when he says: "Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind." (Rom. 14:5b)

If you read this post, say a prayer that God will afford me a copious measure of grace and wisdom through Jesus our Savior, in order that I may come to a right understanding on this matter and in turn "teach others to obey" what Christ has truly commanded of us.

No comments: